Faculty Salary Equity
Initial Study Results
IKM was tasked with conducting initial salary research of UCF faculty during the early spring of 2017 to get a better understanding of possible pay gaps and equality issues. The research was conducted based on previous salary equity studies conducted at UC Berkeley, UC Riverside, and others. The study results were presented to the Faculty Senate in March 2017.
Next Steps and Timeline
The Faculty Senate and UCF recognize that to “attract and cultivate exceptional and diverse faculty” is one of our promises in the Collective Impact strategic plan. Understanding more deeply how a variety of variables, including job title, date hired and discipline, influence salaries will help us fulfill that promise.
Moving forward in 2017, IKM will continue to conduct the more thorough review of salaries based on the newly-released Colorado State University model. In Summer 2017, the Faculty Senate, Faculty Excellence, and IKM will convene a working group to collaborate with university leaders on determining the best way to move forward. The next series of findings are expected to be available in early fall of 2017.
Equity Study References
- 2017 Colorado State University – Salary Equity
- 2017 University of Iowa (national sample of political science faculty) – Determinants of Salary Dispersion among Political Science Faculty
- 2016 Rochester Institute of Technology – Salary-Equity Study
- 2015 UC Berkeley – Report on the UC Berkeley Faculty Salary Equity Study
- 2015 University of Missouri – Faculty Salary Equity Study
- 2014 UC Riverside – Analysis of Salary Equity by Gender and, Among Men, Ethnicity
A list of frequently asked questions and answers can be found here.
Working Group Members
Office of Institutional Equity